1) Clear Your Horizontal Surfaces: To ease the feeling of overwhelm clear all of your horizontal surfaces. This includes your kitchen table, kitchen island, kitchen countertops, dining room table, your desk, the top of your dresser, the bathroom vanity… anything that is gathering STUFF. Clear it off and feel the relief, clarity and focus immediately start to flood back in
2) Do a Thought Download: With a pen and paper (or maybe a few pieces of paper), write out all the things that are on your mind. To-dos, challenges, celebrations, ideas… Get them all out on paper so you can clear them from taking up space in your brain. Once they are on paper you can organize them more clearly for effective action, and trash the thoughts you don’t need to hold on to.
3) Go Outside: No matter where you live you can find a way to connect with nature: look up at the sky, watch the clouds, listen to the birds, observe a flower… Taking 5 minutes to connect with nature allows you to connect with yourself and the rest of the world in a whole new way.
4) Clear The Floor: Keeping the floor clean keeps us from feeling like we’re about to trip… or trip up in life… clearing the floor helps us feel like our path is clear and there won’t be any obstacles to block our way.
5) Decide how you want to feel: It’s really hard to get where you want to go if you don’t know where it is. The simple act of asking, “How do I want to feel?” is like pointing your mind and heart in the direction you want to go. If you want to feel “organized” ask, “What next step can I take to get organized?” If you want to feel “peaceful” ask, “What next step can I take to feel peaceful?”